As Anne of Green Gables says, “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” There is so much worth celebrating during National Orthodontic Month, including the history or orthodontics, advantages of orthodontic treatment, and how to get the most out of treatment.
The History of Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment goes all the way back to ancient Greece and Rome. The Etruscan civilization, which existed between 900 BC and 27 BC, used appliances to maintain spaces between teeth and to keep their teeth from collapsing.
Since then, orthodontics has progressed in leaps and bounds. Some noteworthy achievements include:
- Eighteenth-century French dentist Pierre Fauchard wrote a book about teeth straightening methods in 1728.
- The first wire crib was used in 1819.
- The American Society of Orthodontia, now known as the American Association of Orthodontists, was founded in 1901.
- By the mid-70s, orthodontists began adhering brackets directly to the teeth.
- Clear aligners became popular in the late 1990s.
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Perfectly aligned teeth set a person up for a lifetime of good oral health. Orthodontic patients of any age will experience numerous benefits, including:
- Better function: Straight teeth help a person bite, chew, and talk properly.
- Lowers risk of oral health problems: A straight, evenly spaced smile is easier to clean, so the risk of cavities, gum disease, and bad breath is lowered.
- Fewer dental emergencies: When your teeth are healthy, they are less likely to crack or break!
- A beautiful smile: There’s a reason models and celebrities have straight teeth– they’re more aesthetically pleasing and will make you appear more attractive.
- Higher self-esteem: When you look good, you feel good. A beautiful, straight smile will help you feel more confident in everyday situations.
National Orthodontic Health Month is the perfect time to celebrate orthodontics with your family. You can easily do this in a few ways:
- Talk about your experience with braces. Did you have braces or do know anyone who has had them? What type of braces? For how long? What was the outcome? Your kids, family, and friends will be interested to know what your experience was like!
- Serve tooth-friendly treats. If someone in your family has braces or clear aligners, celebrate by making some delicious treats that won’t hurt your braces or teeth.
- Schedule an appointment with an orthodontist. If you or your child wants or needs orthodontic treatment, now is the best time to get started. Find a trusted orthodontist near you to help reach your smile goals.
How to Get the Most Out of Orthodontic Treatment
Want to ensure your time with braces or aligners isn’t wasted? Follow these tips to ensure you receive all the benefits of orthodontic treatment:
- Maintain your oral health with an appropriate oral hygiene routine
- Keep your schedule orthodontic appointments
- Discuss any problems between appointments with your orthodontist
- Avoid foods and drinks that could harm your braces or teeth
Celebrate National Orthodontic Health Month with Orthosnap!
For the best orthodontic experience, find a dentist near you who offers Orthosnap clear aligners. Click here to learn more about what makes our aligners superior.